“I’m old. I’ve seen many things in my time. My best advice: stay steadfast in the face of chaos.”Brynn
- Brynn is stoic and steadfast but he eventually bends the rules not only for Prince Crocus but for Ary as well.
- Brynn is the oldest sibling of five. His role as eldest born has always been very demanding. Not only did he help raise his four younger siblings, but he also held down several jobs at an early age while also attending all his classes and excelling in school.
- When Brynn reached young adulthood, he took a break from all the responsibility and found enjoyment in long retreats, away from the chaotic, constant demands he grew up around. Brynn practiced meditation and spent personal time studying at his leisure and then reflecting and philosophizing.
- However, Brynn made frequent trips back to the heart of Ostara to attend the customary royal-visits to the castle with his father who was the current guardian of spring. It was tradition for the guardian of Ostara and his apprentice to visit the royal court and serve the king and queen.
- It was during one of these visits to the castle in Ostara, when Brynn noticed a beautiful servant, named Hannah. Brynn fell in love with Hannah almost instantly, but he had to keep his infatuation a secret. For almost two years, whenever Brynn made his visits to the castle, Hannah and Brynn stole secret moments together. They developed a strong bond and truly loved each other, but they both knew that they could not marry.
- Later on, during one of his secret visits with Hannah, Brynn noticed that something was wrong. Hannah was melancholy and could not look him in the eye. When he finally convinced her to tell him what was wrong, Hannah divulged that Queen Violet did not want to harm her magnificent body by bearing a child, so the King and Queen had chosen Hannah to carry the king’s heir. Shocked, Brynn could hardly contain his emotions. Hannah, fearing that Brynn would resent her explained that she hadn’t wanted to tell him at all, but she knew she had to. He would see her pregnant soon enough. Instead of resenting her, Brynn took Hannah into his arms and held her tightly until both of them grew calm. Brynn made it clear that his love for her would never change.
- Brynn saw Hannah three more times before she gave birth to the king’s heir. But distressing news followed. Word came to Brynn that Hannah died in childbirth. Brynn’s heart broke. He dwindled in grief for a long time. He eventually recovered but he never found love again.
- As Prince Crocus grew up, Brynn couldn’t help but see the child he never had in the prince. He saw Hannah in so many aspects of the prince’s features and mannerisms. Brynn made a point to show kindness to the young prince whenever chance allowed.
- Sadly, Brynn noticed that Queen Violet never really bonded with young Prince Crocus. He knew why. But of course he never said anything. It made the queen even more selfish in Brynn’s eyes, for he had a fondness for Prince Crocus even though he wasn’t his own kin. And so should the Queen. The prince was the king’s son and heir.
- Brynn saw that Prince Crocus was affected by Queen Violet’s inattentiveness. It actually increased the prince’s inferiority complex and his need of keeping appearances. Prince Crocus never knew and never found out that Queen Violet was not his real mother, so of course, subconsciously, it devasted the prince that his mother did not praise or encourage him.
- When it was time for Brynn’s father to retire, Brynn took up his role as the guardian of spring. Prince Crocus was a teenager at this point and began showing quite a bit of interest in the seasons crystals and an even keener interest in Brynn’s role as guardian. So, Brynn decided to take Prince Crocus on as his apprentice. Brynn began training Prince Crocus and taught him everything he knew.
- (This explains why Brynn accepts Ary so easily when she steps outside her role and tries to step in for her brother and her father. Brynn bended the rules for Crocus, taking the prince on as an apprentice even though Crocus is not the son of a guardian and cannot ever become a full-fledge guardian).
- Over time, Brynn’s bond with the prince deepened and began to resemble that of a “father and son.” Brynn could not have been more proud. He reveled in the long conversations he had with the prince, answering all the prince’s eager questions. Brynn felt honored, important and valued by the prince’s devotion.